A LACKLUSTRE Oxford United were outclassed on the road by a free-flowing Peterborough United, who would’ve scored more if not for the performance of James Beadle in the U’s goal.

Hector Kyprianou and Ricky-Jade Jones gave the Posh a 2-0 lead at the break, an advantage they saw through until stoppage time in the second half, when Ryan De Havilland put the icing on the home side’s cake.

Des Buckingham made nine changes to the side which sealed progress to the last 16 of the EFL Trophy in midweek, as just Jordan Thorniley and Ruben Rodrigues kept their place in the starting line-up.

The opening exchanges lacked chances at either end, but when openings did come about, it was the Posh who had the better ones.

Just after quarter of an hour had been played, Beadle saved with his feet at his near post, to deny a Jones shot, while Kwame Poku dug out a cross from the right-hand side, but the ball whizzed safely past the back post.

Midway through the first half, Joel Randall scuffed a shot wide from 20 yards, with the home side taking the lead just a couple of minutes later.

Archie Collins’ shot from distance was well saved by Beadle, however Harrison Burrows was able to cross for Kyprianou to bury the loose ball home from close range, with no United defender reacting anywhere near quick enough to get back.

The goal initially came when Elliott Moore had the ball stolen from him by Jones inside Posh territory, with Ephron Mason-Clark then released down the left wing.

The Posh kept coming, with Mason-Clark sliding the ball through for Randall, whose shot from a tight angle won a corner, which came to nothing.

Collins was then urged to shoot from distance after Beadle’s mislaid pass found him out of his goal, however the shot sailed harmlessly wide.

Darren Ferguson’s side did double their advantage though, when Jones latched onto Mason-Clark’s through ball and rounded Beadle, before producing a cool finish.

Beadle then saved with his feet again, this time to deny Randall, while United had their goalkeeper to thank again, when Jones breezed past Moore and then Thorniley, prior to being denied by the feet of Beadle.

Buckingham made a change at the break, taking off Stan Mills in place of Josh Murphy, with United looking to make a fast start in the second period.

Within the first 60 seconds, Marcus McGuane was teed up 20 yards out, however he got too much behind the ball and sent his effort over the crossbar.

Murphy was involved from the off, chopping one way and then the other, however his shot from 25 yards sailed comfortably over Nicholas Bilokapic’s goal.

At the other end, a swift counter-attack ended in Mason-Clark cutting in from the left and directing a shot high over the bar.

Randall also had a go for the Posh, shooting wide after an excellent carry with the ball from Poku.

Just after the hour mark, Murphy raced past Posh skipper Peter Kioso, before crossing for Billy Bodin, who appeared to get a shove in the back as he shot, but the appeals for a penalty were waved away by referee James Linington.

Bilokapic then produced a brilliant save to push away Marcus McGuane’s fierce volley from just outside the penalty area.

Buckingham made a double change with just over 20 minutes to go, taking off Thorniley and Rodrigues for Joe Bennett and Tyler Goodrham respectively.

As the game ticked into the final quarter of an hour, Beadle was again alert to palm behind Poku’s strike from the edge of the area, after it took a slight nick off Bennett.

A switch from right to left found Mason-Clark, however Beadle spread himself well to thwart the 24-year-old’s effort.

Murphy saw a half-volley float over the crossbar with seven minutes to go, but the U’s rarely threatened to lay a glove on the hosts in their search for a route back into the game.

Instead, the hosts added a third goal when substitute De Havilland was afforded space in the centre of the penalty area to tuck the ball home.

Peterborough United (4-2-3-1): Bilokapic; Kioso (Katongo 76), Knight, Edwards, Burrows; Kyprianou, Collins; Poku (Ajiboye 88), Randall (De Havilland 88), Mason-Clark; Jones (Mothersille 90+2).

Unused subs: Talley, Crichlow, Clarke-Harris.

Booked: Kioso.

Oxford United (4-2-3-1): Beadle; Stevens, Moore, Thorniley (Bennett 69), Brown; McGuane, Brannagan; Mills (Murphy 46), Rodrigues (Goodrham 69), Bodin (Smyth 87); Harris (O’Donkor 82).

Unused subs: Eastwood, McEachran.

Booked: Bodin.

Referee: James Linington (Isle of Wight).

Attendance: 7,921 (1,028 away).