OXFORD City Stars fans gave their club a financial and psychological boost as they covered the cost of a controversial fine.

The Oxpens outfit were handed a host of penalties by the National Ice Hockey League for postponing the Division 1 South clash at home to Invicta Dynamos on December 18.

A Covid outbreak left Stars without a netminder and forced them to call off the fixture at short notice.

They were slapped with a £150 fine, three-point deduction and must pay costs incurred by the visitors if requested.

Supporters went above and beyond at Sunday’s home game against Solent Devils, with volunteers setting up a bucket collection and receiving enough donations to cover the fine and then some.

The extra cash will go to the Oxford Hospitals Charity, which helps fund the best medical equipment, research, training and facilities for patients and staff.

Stars’ director Greig Box Turnbull said: “We can’t thank everybody enough; this is an incredible act of kindness and generosity and demonstrates the real togetherness that runs deep at the club.

“It has given everyone a real boost after being hit so hard by the league.

“For me it’s not about the money, it’s the sentiment and the way everyone rallied for the club out of a sense of fair play and unity is simply tremendous.

“Additionally, the supporters have created a really positive outcome in the face of adversity with some much-needed funds going to a vital local charity.

“Thank you to everyone involved.”

It was a successful evening for Stars, who got off the mark for 2022 with a dominant 4-1 win over Devils.

The hosts applied all the pressure in the first period and finally opened the scoring in the 15th minute, through Dax Hedges.

Matt Lawday made it 2-0 before the buzzer to put Stars in control.

Ross Miller made a great save after the restart, before Hedges was dismissed for five minutes for fighting.

Josh Oliver and Jake Williams put Stars 4-0 up midway through the second period to all-but seal victory.

With the points assured, the only prize left was the shutout.

They held out until 28 seconds from the end, when Alex Trendall beat Miller – much to the netminder’s frustration.

Stars were on the receiving end of a fast start at Chelmsford Chieftains 24 hours earlier and trailed 3-0 at the end of the first period.

Lawday and Will Birch gave them hope, but the hosts won 4-2.