JACOB Bancroft starred as Oxford City roared back from 2-0 down to beat Haringey Borough in the Buildbase FA Trophy fourth round.

The substitute grabbed two goals and an assist in eight second-half minutes as David Oldfield’s side prevented the Isthmian Premier Division outfit from springing a shock.

Haringey showed impressive ruthlessness to race into a comfortable lead within 20 minutes, Claudiu Vilcu and Jamie-Lee O’Donoghue on target.

City had a mountain to climb, but Joe Oastler’s header just before the break kick-started the comeback.

Their greater fitness told in the second half and the trio of goals booked their place in Monday’s fifth round draw.

City’s line-up showed one change to the side that started the 2-1 win at Braintree Town in midweek, with Zac McEachran replacing Nana Owusu.

The hosts made all the early running and Haringey goalkeeper Jonathan Miles saved with his feet from Lewis Coyle after five minutes, before the same player fired into the side netting moments later.

But the bright start was forgotten when Haringey took the lead with their first foray forward.

Oastler headed a free-kick to Vilcu on the edge of the box and the centre back was allowed to take a touch before placing an effort beyond Ben Dudzinski.

Before too long Haringey had their second, as ex-City man Bobson Bawling advanced into the area and twisted inside and out.

He flicked the ball towards goal with the outside of his boot and Jamie-Lee O’Donoghue got enough on it to see his effort go in off the far post.

The striker forced a good save from Dudzinski down to his right soon after, while City were winning plenty of corners without seriously threatening Miles.

But they kept plugging away and were rewarded two minutes before the break.

Josh Ashby’s free-kick from just outside the box was tipped over brilliantly by Miles, but the stopper was a spectator as Oastler powered a header home from the resulting corner.

The second half was three minutes old when David Oldfield changed things up, with Bancroft replacing centre back Sam Cartwright.

The substitute went straight up front, while Coyle moved to right back and Roberts and McEachran occupied the wings.

Benyon came on for Harvey Bradbury just after the hour mark, moving into the No 10 role, and Oldfield’s changes paid dividends with 22 minutes left.

James Roberts had looked threatening all afternoon and did well to feed Bancroft inside the box, with the striker creating space to shoot high into the net.

Three minutes later the turnaround was complete - and Haringey only had themselves to blame.

A loose pass across the back four was followed by an even poorer touch, allowing Roberts to play in Bancroft.

The striker advanced on goal and showed great composure to convert past Miles.

Just five more minutes passed and scorer turned provider, with Bancroft’s decision-making on the mark again.

The striker was on a hat-trick as he collected the ball inside the area with only Miles to beat, but instead squared to Benyon to gratefully tap home.

Bancroft thought he had a hat-trick when Coyle’s shot struck the inside of the post and he converted the rebound, but the linesman’s flag was up for offside.

Pablo Martinez replaced Zac McEachran to shore up the back line and City saw the game out comfortably.

Oxford City (4-2-3-1): Dudzinski, Drewe, Cartwright (Bancroft 48), Oastler, Hall, Ashby, Fleet, Coyle, McEachran (Martinez 82), Roberts, Bradbury (Benyon 62).

Unused subs: Grantham, George.

Booked: McEachran, Martinez.

Haringey Borough (4-4-2): Miles, Olufemi, Vilcu, Djassi Sambu, M O’Donoghu, Michael-Percil (McDonald 76), Aresti, Richards, Bawling, J O’Donoghue (Ismail 64), Bessadi (Djamos 62).

Unused subs: Leacock-McLeod, Leblond, Mitchell, Dombaxe.


Referee: Scott Simpson.