OXFORD City played out an entertaining stalemate with Welling United to move into the Vanarama National League South play-off places.

The visitors belied their lowly position to force Aaron Drewe into a goal-line clearance in each half as they refused to settle for a point.

David Oldfield’s side had chances of their own and James Roberts went close on several occasions, hitting the crossbar with a free-kick.

City goalkeeper Ben Dudzinski was forced into an incredible save from Joe Taylor in stoppage time to preserve the point, which sees the hosts rise a place to seventh.

Nana Owusu and Jacob Bancroft were dropped from the City squad, with Josh Ashby and Alex Grantham replacing them.

The one change to the starting line-up saw Lewis Coyle come in for Owusu, as the hosts lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation spearheaded by Elliot Benyon.

Welling started the day second from bottom but began the game brighter, with new signing Taylor their focal point up front.

City gradually settled and looked to test Reice Charles-Cook from range, Zac McEachran twice forcing the goalkeeper into saves.

The visitors enjoyed their second spell of pressure midway through the half and Drewe had to clear off the line after 27 minutes.

Rhys Murrell-Williams slipped Taylor in and the striker poked the ball past Dudzinski in goal, only for City’s No 2 to sweep in and clear.

Two minutes later the hosts almost opened the scoring themselves, with Roberts unlucky to see his free-kick strike the top of the crossbar.

While neither side was able to create much more before the break, City captain Joe Oastler was fortunate not to concede an own goal when he headed Nathan Green’s lofted ball inches past his own post under pressure from Taylor.

Welling had found some of Marc Whaley’s decisions frustrating in the first period, but they were grateful to the referee six minutes before the break.

Reece Fleet pounced on a loose ball just inside the box and looked to have been felled, but the man in charge was unmoved.

After an even first half, both sides were keen to stamp their authority on the game at the start of the second period.

It took ten minutes for either side to create an opening, but a flurry of chances came before the hour mark.

First Dudzinski got a vital touch on Taylor’s shot to push it past the far post, moments before Roberts fired a half-volley just over at the other end.

City were then forced to make their second goal-line clearance, as Benyon hacked away following a scramble.

Oldfield threw on birthday boy Alfie Potter for Pablo Martinez 20 minutes into the second half and the hosts raised the tempo.

The 32-year-old was immediately involved, cutting inside from the left – he lost control but the loose ball ran to Roberts, who fired just wide of the near post.

Just when it looked like City were taking control, Welling went close yet again when Drewe threw himself in the way of Della-Verde’s effort.

The visitors were convinced the defender used his hand, but after consulting with his assistant, Whaley gave a corner.

Harvey Bradbury replaced Dan Matzusaka after the centre back took Green’s foot in his face, with the substitute joining Benyon up front.

It was an attacking change, but City were indebted to their goalkeeper two minutes into stoppage time.

Substitute Lionel Ainsworth raced down the right and crossed to Taylor at the back post and Dudzinski scrambled across to block the striker’s effort from point-blank range.

Oxford City (4-2-3-1): Dudzinski, Drewe, Matzusaka (Bradbury 76), Oastler, Hall, Martinez (Potter 65), Fleet, Roberts, McEachran, Coyle, Benyon.

Unused subs: Grantham, Ashby, George.

Booked: None.

Welling United (4-2-3-1): Charles-Cook, Johnson, Green, Della-Verde, O’Mara, Murrell-Williams (Ainsworth 87), Blackman, Taylor, Simons (Akinyemi 79), Shokunbi, Strachan.

Unused subs: Hobbs, Ryan, Ilic.

Booked: Blackman, Shokunbi.

Referee: Marc Whaley