OXFORD City boss Mark Jones has left the club 'by mutual consent'.

The Vanarama National League South club made the announcement after discussions today, hours before City discover their opponents in the first round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Director of football Justin Merritt and assistant manager Andy Ballard will take over the first team in the short term, supported by goalkeeping coach Alan Foster and coach Ross Jenkins.

Read also: Oxford United and Oxford City in FA Cup first round draw tonight

Merritt said: "Mark has given everything possible during his tenure as manager and there have been some amazing experiences, particularly the FA Cup successes.

"We would like to put on record our thanks to Mark for his professionalism, dedication and efforts with the club.

"We as a club are determined to continue our development both on and off the pitch with a view of achieving long term success."

A statement from City's board of directors said: "It goes without saying this was a very difficult decision for the club with Mark's history as a player, coach and manager at the club.

"We would like to thank Mark for his efforts and achievements during his time as manager. We wish him well with his future aspirations."

Read also: Oxford City reach FA Cup first round once again

Jones became first team manager on a caretaker basis in December 2016 and made more than 100 appearances for City as a player.

He was given the role permanently at the end of the 2016/17 season after leading his side to a mid-table finish in the sixth tier.

In just under three years in the role he kept the club in the division and guided his side to the first round of the Cup three times in a row.

This included an historic 1-0 win at Sky Bet League Two side Colchester United in the first round of the 2017/18 competition – the first time City had knocked out Football League opposition.

They were beaten 3-2 at Notts County in the second round, while last season held Tranmere Rovers to a 3-3 draw at Prenton Park in the first round before losing the replay 2-0.

City under Jones have also won the last two editions of the Oxfordshire Senior Cup.

The club confirmed it would announce the process for recruiting a permanent manager 'at a later time'.