A man was arrested after officers responded to a fire that was started by a dog, police have confirmed.

Officers arrived at the Smith’s estate area of Witney on Thursday, July 4 at around 3.20pm to help assist with the blaze.

However, officers on the scene were called into action and arrested a 30-year-old man from Witney on suspicion of breaching court bail conditions and going equipped for burglary.

READ MORE: Cannabis plants found after fire at Blackbird Leys home

The arrest was unrelated to the fire, said the force.

The man has since been released without charge.

Firefighters were faced with a blaze in the kitchen but the neighbours had already rescued a dog that was inside the home.

The dog was given CPR at the scene and sent to vets to recover.

The fire service said the hob, where a chip pan was sat, was believed to have been accidentally turned on by the dog.

An Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue spokesperson said: “We can happily say the dog is at the vets on oxygen and should recover.

“A breathing apparatus team extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet and ventilated the property.

“The cause as it happens is believed to be by the dog accidentally turning on the hob where a chip pan unit was located.

“Fortunately for the owner most of the bedroom doors were closed and protected the rooms from additional smoke damage.”

One eyewitness said an ambulance also arrived at the scene at around 5pm, but the fire service confirmed there was nobody inside the property and no one was injured.

Two crews remained damping out the property at around 5.10pm.