A faulty dishwasher caused a house fire late last night.

Firefighters from Bicester and Rewley Road were faced with smoke coming from the property in Victoria Road and a fire in the kitchen.

Using thermal image cameras and breathing apparatus, they managed to extinguish the fire before it had the chance to spread to the rest of the kitchen, before removing the faulty appliance and ventilating the property which was heavily smoke logged.

Luckily the resident was still awake whilst the dishwasher was running and phoned the fire service straight away.