AN 18-YEAR-OLD prisoner who was caught with a weapon - a tin of tuna wrapped in a sock - has been handed more time behind bars.

Prison officers at HMP Bullingdon only discovered the makeshift weapon because another inmate was throwing punches at convict Dillon Peck.

The 18-year-old of Great Western Drive, Didcot, had already admitted one count of possession of an offensive weapon while inside prison.

Prosecutors at Oxford Crown Court said today that Peck was serving a jail sentence for drug dealing charges before he was caught with the weapon on October 1.

READ ALSO: Bullingdon prisoner has £2,000 gold chains he was wearing stolen.

Outlining the case, Cathy Olliver said prison staff saw Peck outside his cell on the floor with another prisoner standing over him throwing punches.

When guards brought the fight to an end the other inmate ran off and while Peck got to his feet he tried to pursue the man but was stopped by guards.

It was when he was looked at by medical staff that officers discovered the improvised weapon - a tin of tuna contained within a sock.

The court heard the makeshift item was a 'common weapon' used by prisoners and Peck was not seen to have wielded it during the incident.

Peck also has a number of previous convictions, including for offences of affray and possession of an offensive weapon.

He was initially jailed for possession with intent to supply drugs.

In mitigation his defence barrister Lyall Thompson said: "Obviously it's not easy for anybody to go to prison for the first time.

READ ALSO: Oxford Hospital trust apologises over ambulance waits outside A&E.

"For an 18-year-old to be sent to a prison such as Bullingdon serving a three-year sentence and to find he's in a wing populated with adults."

He said that Peck had to share a cell with one inmate who was 'unpopular on the wing' and that by speaking to him as his cell mate Peck became unpopular.

Mr Thompson said this caused Peck to receive threats and taking the advice of another prisoner he fashioned himself a weapon for protection.

He added that the sock was 'relatively short' and 'perhaps less dangerous than if it was a longer sock.'

The court also heard that during the incident Peck had been attacked by 'some adults' and punched repeatedly, with officers only witnessing the end of the scuffle.

Peck didn't take out the weapon he was carrying, his defence barrister also said to the judge.

Sentencing, Judge Maria Lamb said: "You were attacked and covered yourself, you didn't pull out and use this improvised weapon.

"I accept you have suffered because you were transferred away and it would affect the frequency of visits from your family.

"For all those reasons I keep this sentence as short as I possibly can."

He was jailed for four weeks, consecutive to his current sentence.