Family in Bicester was saved by their working smoke alarm this morning.

A working smoke alarm saved the life of an elderly family member after a pan of oil was accidentally turned on whilst on the cooker and caught fire.

The rising smoke caused the smoke alarm to sound and the elderly occupant was able to get outside.

Read also: Present appeal for young cancer patients in hospital for Christmas

Luckily a family member extinguished the fire with a damp tea towel and cared for the elderly relative as they were waiting for fire crews.

The smoke alarm sounded and fire crews were able to get to the scene in just over six minutes from Bicester at 11am.

The kitchen was made safe and firefighters with additional medical skills were able to carry out an assessment to make sure the occupant was safe while they waited for the ambulance service.