A WANTED man was 'rugby tackled' by a police woman as he tried to evade capture before toppling into a garden fence.

The nearly six-foot Tobias Bruce had to be threatened with a Taser before his arrest during the struggle outside a house at Stanley Close, Oxford on the morning of May 29 this year.

Police Officer Young, who is five foot four inches tall, took the brave decision to try and rugby tackle the fleeing Bruce before 'grappling' with him.

During the fight the 27-year-old of George Street, Oxford, 'yanked her hair back' before crashing into a garden fence as more officers piled into the fray.

READ ALSO: Teenager 'had Samurai Sword at service station'.

Bruce appeared at Oxford Crown Court today expecting to face a trial on a count of robbery and having a bladed article at the Jury's Inn hotel, Wolvercote in December last year.

Prosecutors dropped the case, however, after the complainant failed to attend and he was formally cleared.

He instead went on to plead guilty to two separate counts of having class B drugs and assaulting a police officer during his failed attempt to escape justice.

Outlining the case prosecutor Edmund Blackman said that police went to the address in Botley to arrest Bruce who was wanted by officers.

Realising police were there Bruce ran outside and tried to scale a garden fence to get away.

He was then sprayed with an incapacitant but that didn't stop him and as he got near PC Young the officer attempted to 'rugby tackle' him and 'they began to grapple.'

READ ALSO: Child sex case involving 64-year-old to be heard at crown court.

During the struggle Bruce grabbed the woman's hair back which caused her 'significant pain and leaving her frightened as to what was about to happen.'

Despite this, prosecutors said, the officer 'tried to punch him' and he ran off towards another officer. As the fracas went on they all then crashed into a fence and fell to the ground.

Mr Blackman said Bruce only gave up the chase after officers threatened him with a Taser.

On searching the house they found 22g of the drug Spice and 8.54g of cannabis.

Bruce - who has 22 previous convictions for 38 offences - today admitted possessing the drugs and assaulting the officer.

In mitigation his barrister Lucy Tapper said her client had 'an unenviable record' and had struggled with 'impulsivity' in the past.

READ ALSO: Drug addict who flouted court order given last chance.

She added Bruce was now trying to turn his life around.

Sentencing, Judge Maria Lamb said: "I really hope that it is right that you have decided to turn a corner now."

Bruce was jailed for five months for the assault and a further one week for the drugs charges, and must pay £250 compensation.