A MAN repeatedly smashed a San Miguel pint glass over a reveller's head during a drunken pub brawl, a court heard.

The glassing happened shortly after a separate incident at another Abingdon pub where an assistant manager was allegedly threatened that her house would be burnt down.

Jason Tripp, of Larkhill Road, Abingdon, denies one count of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and one of threatening to destroy or damage property.

Read also: Girl, 16, 'punched twice in face' in New Hall Inn Street, Oxford

The 30-year old has already admitted wounding in relation to the violence but denies the more serious charge of intending to cause harm.

Outlining the case before a jury panel of 10 women and two men at Oxford Crown Court yesterday, prosecutor John Waller said the incidents happened at two different pubs on the night of January 20 last year.

He said: "This case relates to drunken and violent behaviour by this defendant at various public houses in the Abingdon area."

Read also: Death of teen cyclist sparks warnings over road safety

Jurors were told that Tripp was first spotted on CCTV outside The Grapes pub, High Street, appearing 'pretty intoxicated'.

The footage played to the panel appeared to show Tripp stumble over a sign outside the pub which read 'Merry Xmas and Happy New Year'.

Later that night, prosecutors said, Tripp entered the Boundary House pub, Oxford Road, before he and a friend were both asked to leave.

Tripp then allegedly threatened the assistant manager, Ashleigh Whitehead-Bedding, saying he would 'burn down her house' and that he 'knew where she lived'.

Read also: Man charged with sexual assault after woman groped at Oxford bus stop

Taking to the witness box yesterday, she said his behaviour that night made her feel 'intimidated' and said she thought he was 'highly intoxicated'.

That same night, the court heard, Tripp and his friend moved on to another Abingdon pub - the College Oak, Peachcroft Road, and were again asked to leave.

A brawl broke out shortly after, jurors were told, and during that fight the second alleged victim - Lee Sheridan - was repeatedly hit in the head with a pint glass.

From the witness box he told jurors: "I turned around and all I can see is the two males, one with a glass, holding [it] like a gauntlet and [he] smashed the side of my head.

"I felt like it was in my eye but the cut was just above my eye... it was a San Miguel glass.

"I could not see at this point, blood was pouring into both eyes but then I felt my head being pushed down and felt something smash over my head."

He said that he felt 'three of four' blows with the pint glass and said that he had been left with scarring because of his injuries.

Jurors went on to hear that Tripp was later arrested that night and claimed in a prepared statement he had no memory of either incident.

The trial continues.