A FLAT was engulfed in flames within six minutes after a man smoking in bed set fire to his sheets. 

Fire crews from Blue Watch, Rewley Road and Slade fire stations in Oxford, attended the flat fire in Greys Road, Headington yesterday just before 9pm. 

The bedding caught alight and the fire rapidly spread throughout the property. 


By the time crews arrived six minutes later the flat was completely up in flames, the service reported. 

Due to the working smoking alarms, residents in the property were able to escape with minor smoke inhalation.


Crew Manager Lewis Sigsworth said: “It is very important that people are aware of the dangers of smoking in bed and the need to have working smoke alarms”.