IT IS still not known which train killed a man at Yarnton Lane level crossing.

Christopher Walden was found dead on the tracks near Kidlington on the morning of Thursday, April 9.

A post mortem examination found the 40-year-old had suffered injuries consistent with being hit by a train.

But an inquest yesterday at Oxford Coroner’s Court was told police had not been able to establish which train hit Mr Walden.

Almost 50 passed through the level crossing in the 12 hours prior to his body being found at about 6.30am on April 9.

Oxfordshire coroner Darren Salter returned a verdict of suicide, saying that despite Mr Walden having shown no intention of killing himself he clearly put himself in front of the train.

A post-mortem examination found no alcohol or drugs in Mr Walden’s system and he had no known history of depression or other mental illness.

Speaking at the inquest, investigating officer Pc Mathew Harvey, of British Transport Police, said: “Forty-eight trains passed the location in the 12 hours preceding discovery [of Mr Walden’s body].

“None of those trains reported striking anything or had damage consistent with striking anything.

“Not all the trains would necessarily have damage to them consistent with striking anything.

“It is my view that it would be highly likely to be a freight service because of the height and speed and the type of injuries that were sustained.”

Mr Walden, who was unemployed, was living on and off with a friend, Kieron Leaf.

His last address was given as Wilsdon Way, Kidlington.

Mr Leaf said he last saw Mr Walden on the afternoon of April 7, shortly after he had overslept and missed a court appearance.

Mr Leaf said Mr Walden believed a warrant would therefore be issued for his arrest but he did not seem unduly worried.

Mr Walden then told Mr Leaf that he would “not be here tonight” and was not seen again until his body was found.

Pc Harvey said officers had been unable to account for Mr Walden’s whereabouts between him leaving Mr Leaf’s home and being struck by the train.

Mr Walden’s sister Julie Troiani said her brother, who was married between 2002 and 2008 to a woman he met in Peru, had kept himself to himself.

In a statement read out in court she said: “He was the youngest of three children and he enjoyed a normal childhood. He joined the Cub Scouts and wanted to join the Army but could not because of his asthma.

“From the age of 15 he developed quite a temper and we did not really know much about his life and what was going on with him.

“As a family we were deeply saddened by his tragic death.”