CHINNOR ran in seven tries to beat Canterbury 47-19 at home and stay in the hunt for the title.

Ali Bone, Luke Peters, Jay Tyack, Charlie Broughton, Danny Barnes, Jonny Bentley and Alex Bradley crossed in the National League 2 South clash.

Matt Williams’s side remain five points behind Bishop’s Stortford, who beat Henley Hawks 38-28.

Against Canterbury, Chinnor trailed to Kieran Thompson’s 18th-minute try, but the home side hit back when Bone crashed over.

Ten minutes later, Peters penetrated the defence to score near the posts and Chinnor led 19-7 when Tyack also grounded.

The home side continued in the same vein after the break as Broughton cut through to cross.

Canterbury had a player sin-binned and a quickly-taken penalty put Barnes over, before Bentley ran in to make it 40-7.

The visitors responded with a try from Glyn Edwards, but it spurred Chinnor back into action as Bradley carved his way over.

Canterbury had the last say, with Max Cantwell crossing, but the hosts had already done more than enough.

Bentley kicked six conversions for Chinnor, with Basil Strang adding another.

Henley caused leaders Stortford numerous problems, but the visitors’s power and speed proved the difference as they lost by ten points at Dry Leas.

Hawks took the lead when Dave Manning scampered over and George Jackson converted.

The visitors replied through Nick Hankin’s try, converted by Tom Banks, and raced into a 21-7 lead at the break.

William Simmonds and John Neville ran in as Henley lost concentration.

But Hawks went on to outscore their visitors in the second half, starting with Joe Butler’s try, converted by Jackson.

Poor tackling continued to let them down, though, and Stortford’s Neville crossed for his second score. Banks added the extras.

Henley hit back again and made it 28-21 when Jackson converted his own try, before a Banks penalty kept the visitors at arms length.

Stortford’s Jonathan George then went over, but Hawks grabbed a deserved four-try bonus point when Butler raced over late on.

Jackson converted to maintain his 100 per cent record with the boot.