A HAT-TRICK of tries from Tom Burns helped Chinnor stay ahead of the chasing pack, with a dominant 50-20 victory at Bury St Edmunds.

Fly half Basil Strang also starred, scoring 13 points, as the Kingsey Road-based side remained top of National League 2 South on points difference.

Chinnor led 10-0 after 13 minutes, Strang converting his own try and kicking a penalty.

The home side rallied,with two penalties from Scott Lyle, but the visitors responded, through scores from No 8 Burns and Alex Bradley.

There was only 28 minutes on the clock, when Burns charged over again to secure the bonus point and make it 29-6.

Lyle converted his own try to lift Bury’s spirits at the break.

It did not take long for Chinnor to extend their lead to 23 points, as Charlie Broughton crossed.

The hosts refused to give up and were awarded a penalty try, converted by Lyle.

Flanker Bradley was sin-binned as a result, but despite being down to 14 men Chinnor maintained control.

A driving maul put Burns over for his hat-trick, before they were awarded a penalty try with ten minutes to go.

Strang converted four of the tries, with replacement Jonny Bentley adding two, as Chinnor made it five wins in a row.

Henley Hawks lost 39-20 at high-flying Old Elthamians.

The home side were two tries to the good early on, thanks to scores from Jay Rudland-Thomas and James Colledge.

Hawks responded on nine minutes, when Conor Hayhow crossed for an unconverted try.

But Elthamians went on to stretch their lead to 20-5 after 23 minutes, as Dominic Lespierre and Colledge dived over.

Henley fly half James Comben was injured during the fourth try and was taken to hospital with a neck injury.

The visitors reduced the deficit to seven points at the break, when Dave Manning touched down and George Jackson kicked a penalty.

Comben’s absence did not help Henley and Tom White’s try made it 25-13 to the hosts.

Rob Bell was sin-binned for Hawks and Elthamians took advantage, with Nathan Morris going over twice and Will Robinson converting one of the scores.

However, Henley did have the last say, when Jackson converted his own try on 73 minutes.