Speaking up to combat abuse

thisisoxfordshire: Tracey Taylor, 44, husband Nigel, 53, and Andy Law, 50, launch the campaign Tracey Taylor, 44, husband Nigel, 53, and Andy Law, 50, launch the campaign

WHEN Andy Law lived in Oxford, teenagers would stand outside his house and shout abuse.

When he walked down the street, neighbours would shout insults at him.

And the only reason was because the 50-year-old had severe learning difficulties that made him stand out.

Now a campaign from a leading Oxfordshire charity aims to stop this kind of ignorance and abuse.

Mr Law, who now lives near Abingdon with his carers, said: “I have had this my whole life. A couple of times I felt like committing suicide.

“And I got so angry at one man that I punched him. You still get abuse from teenagers wherever you go, but hopefully this campaign will help that.”

My Life My Choice, based at the Jam Factory, Oxford, has launched the Hate Crime Campaign, which aims to stop bullying for good.

National statistics from mental health charity Mencap show more than 90 per cent of people with learning disabilities have experienced hate crime.

One in three of those experience it on a weekly basis.

Mr Law, who works as a champion for the charity and visited Westminster to launch the campaign on Monday, said: “When people see someone different to how they are, they don’t like it.

Related links

“So we are speaking out about it. I’m not speaking up just for myself, I’m speaking up for those people who cannot speak up.”

My Life My Choice has 450 members in the county.

Its campaign is supported by Oxfam, Oxford City Council and the Oxfordshire Community Foundation and tells people to “Speak Up, Speak Easily and Speak Out”.

The focus is on making sure people with learning difficulties know bullying does not have to be part of their lives.

It will also raise greater awareness with Thames Valley Police and the public of the impact this type of hate crime has on people.

Members of My Life My Choice will also serve on a police independent advisory group to deal with hate crime in the county.

Charity champions co-ordinator Dan Harris said: “Talking to a lot of our members, we know the impact bullying can have on a person’s confidence and outlook on life. They start to see it as just another part of their lives and they shouldn’t have to accept it.

“The cause of this issue is ignorance. People need to understand why people with learning difficulties act in a certain way. And how their words can impact.”

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:22pm Sat 21 Jul 12

Dilligaf2010 says...

I'm pretty certain the majority of people that hurl abuse, have a lower IQ than those they're hurling abuse at, otherwise they would have the sense not to do it.
I'm pretty certain the majority of people that hurl abuse, have a lower IQ than those they're hurling abuse at, otherwise they would have the sense not to do it. Dilligaf2010

6:03pm Sat 21 Jul 12

SteveOX4 says...

I wish this article would have stated exactly where in Oxford he was subjected to that appalling behaviour, I guess it was one of the many estates?
I wish this article would have stated exactly where in Oxford he was subjected to that appalling behaviour, I guess it was one of the many estates? SteveOX4

2:54pm Sun 22 Jul 12

cuckoo says...

SteveOX4 wrote:
I wish this article would have stated exactly where in Oxford he was subjected to that appalling behaviour, I guess it was one of the many estates?
Just supposing Mr Law lived on one of Oxford's estates, I would have to say there certainly has to be more good people living within these estates than those that cause trouble/distress....
..... it's sad that the ignorants "blacken" the name of the many just because of where they live!!
Dilligaf........ totally agree with you here.
[quote][p][bold]SteveOX4[/bold] wrote: I wish this article would have stated exactly where in Oxford he was subjected to that appalling behaviour, I guess it was one of the many estates?[/p][/quote]Just supposing Mr Law lived on one of Oxford's estates, I would have to say there certainly has to be more good people living within these estates than those that cause trouble/distress.... ..... it's sad that the ignorants "blacken" the name of the many just because of where they live!! Dilligaf........ totally agree with you here. cuckoo

3:14pm Sun 22 Jul 12

Dilligaf2010 says...

cuckoo wrote:
SteveOX4 wrote:
I wish this article would have stated exactly where in Oxford he was subjected to that appalling behaviour, I guess it was one of the many estates?
Just supposing Mr Law lived on one of Oxford's estates, I would have to say there certainly has to be more good people living within these estates than those that cause trouble/distress....

..... it's sad that the ignorants "blacken" the name of the many just because of where they live!!
Dilligaf........ totally agree with you here.
I agree, not all residents of estates are low-life scum, it's unfortunate as you say, that the few tarnish the reputation of others, that said though, a large percentage of ignorant, and troublesome, individuals do live on estates.
There are many teenagers and adolescents that have no respect for the law, or other people, I think this is down to the "Nanny State" we live in, nobody's allowed to instil discipline any more, and as a result, some individuals are able to get away with anything, without worry of repercussions.
[quote][p][bold]cuckoo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SteveOX4[/bold] wrote: I wish this article would have stated exactly where in Oxford he was subjected to that appalling behaviour, I guess it was one of the many estates?[/p][/quote]Just supposing Mr Law lived on one of Oxford's estates, I would have to say there certainly has to be more good people living within these estates than those that cause trouble/distress.... ..... it's sad that the ignorants "blacken" the name of the many just because of where they live!! Dilligaf........ totally agree with you here.[/p][/quote]I agree, not all residents of estates are low-life scum, it's unfortunate as you say, that the few tarnish the reputation of others, that said though, a large percentage of ignorant, and troublesome, individuals do live on estates. There are many teenagers and adolescents that have no respect for the law, or other people, I think this is down to the "Nanny State" we live in, nobody's allowed to instil discipline any more, and as a result, some individuals are able to get away with anything, without worry of repercussions. Dilligaf2010

7:13pm Sun 22 Jul 12

Bon Rurgundy says...

SteveOX4 wrote:
I wish this article would have stated exactly where in Oxford he was subjected to that appalling behaviour, I guess it was one of the many estates?
My money is on Summertown...
[quote][p][bold]SteveOX4[/bold] wrote: I wish this article would have stated exactly where in Oxford he was subjected to that appalling behaviour, I guess it was one of the many estates?[/p][/quote]My money is on Summertown... Bon Rurgundy

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree