Report this comment
  • "
    excabman wrote:
    Strange how anyone thinks that anyone from the taxi association would have made money from cctv systems that the association had successfully negotiated a cost of £700 down to £450, all of these slanderous accusations against one person seems very rich when it was an eight man committee who instructed Colta to investigate the feesability of CCTV, six out of the eight memebrs of the trade who voted to accept CCTV were from the private hire trade management, no one seems to be criticising them, wonder why ?
    2 things, why were trade reps allowed to give the go anead on this without consulting the paying members, they do not have a mandate for something this serious. And did not Alan go on a course so that he would be qualified to be the agent for the cameras. And another thing why no insistance that a cab whose cctv was faulty could still work until it was fixed at the earliest opportunity, if my camera broke at 11pm on a friday night do you really expect me to lose the best (and only) earning opportunity of the week? If Alan did not do the course to become the agent accept my apologies, but I am told this by at least 50 other drivers. By the way, what did you lose your badge for?"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Council to rethink its taxi CCTV proposals

Council to rethink its taxi CCTV proposals

Council to rethink its taxi CCTV proposals

First published in News thisisoxfordshire: Photograph of the Author by , Health reporter, also covering Kidlington. Call me on 01865 425271

A controversial plan to record all conversations in city taxis is to be looked at again.

Oxford City Council is set to launch a “more extensive” consultation which could lead to only video or audio recording, rather than both.

Last year it approved the compulsory scheme after it was backed by two trade bodies.

But deputy leader Ed Turner said concerns raised by drivers following a November Oxford Mail report had led the council to think again.

He said: “The fact we are doing more consultation suggests the first consultation with trade bodies wasn’t sufficient to get an accurate view. That is why we are having another round of consultation.”

A council report backs more extensive consultation which could ask “whether either or both types of recording should be introduced”.

The council and trade leaders argue cameras are vital to provide evidence of attacks and allegations against drivers.

But civil liberties campaigners claim the devices breach data protection guidelines and are an invasion of privacy.

Alan Woodward, former chairman of trade body City of Oxford Licensed Taxi Cab Association (Colta) – who led calls for the cameras but resigned amid criticism from some cabbies – said “one or two” opposed the plans.

He said: “I had drivers in my office complaining about being attacked by passengers. We also had people complaining to the police about being attacked by drivers.”

The association represents 103 of the city’s 107 black cab drivers, he said, and committee leaders were elected each year.

But minicab driver Khalil Ahmed, who organised a petition of more than 270 opposed to the plan, said: “The council has never consulted the drivers.

“Colta never represented Hackney carriage drivers properly.”

He said the 665 minicab drivers “never had a proper body”.

Colta was not available for comment.

Nick Pickles, director of campaign group Big Brother Watch, said: “We don’t need another drawn-out consultation, we need the council to drop this intrusive, illiberal policy before any more damage is done to Oxford’s reputation.”

The cameras would start when the ignition is activated and stop 30 minutes after it is switched off. Footage would only be viewed on request from police and council officers. The council wanted all new cabs to have the £460 cameras, with the existing 665 vehicles fitted by April 2015.

It offered to pay £100 towards the cost of each recording system.

The plan was put on hold pending an inquiry by the Information Commissioner’s Office which ordered the council to justify the legality of cameras.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree