Restaurant made to clean up its act

Jamals Indian restaurant, pictured in August last year

Jamals Indian restaurant, pictured in August last year

First published in News by

AN Indian restaurant in Jericho was closed by environmental health officers after neighbours complained of mice.

Oxford City Council sent a team of officers to Jamals, in Walton Street, last Tuesday lunchtime.

They were so concerned by standards of cleanliness that they issued staff with orders to close at 6.40pm under regulation eight of the food hygiene regulations 2006.

Environmental health officer Richard Kuziara said: “The inspection was carried out as a result of a complaint from a neighbouring property about rodents.

“They co-operated with the requirements of the notice.

“They had to clean the place, sanitise and disinfect the premises, pest-proof the building and fill in any gaps. They had no hand washing facilities, they had disconnected hand washing basins.

“Any food made that could have been contaminated had to be disposed of and we watched them do this.

“And there was a requirement to removed any redundant equipment and rubbish.”

He added the restaurant re-opened the next day, on March 14, from 6pm.

Mr Kuziara added: “At 3.30pm on Wednesday, March 14, we issued a certificate to say the risk no longer existed.

“The immediate risk to health has been removed.

“They were very co-operative. As soon as we told them what we were doing they did everything they could to get open again.”

The council’s team will now keep an eye on the restaurant to make sure standards are maintained.

To prove the decision to close the premises was justified, Oxford City Council representatives will now appear at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Friday to present evidence they say will prove the restaurant’s temporary closure was justified.

Mr Kuziara said: “A closure like this is used in cases where there is an immediate risk to health, meaning that if there’s a potential to cause food poisoning and make someone ill we have to address that.”

He added that there had been no reports of any illness caused by the restaurant’s food.

No-one from Jamals was available for comment.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:33am Tue 20 Mar 12

slygirl says...

Yuk, won't go there again!
Yuk, won't go there again! slygirl
  • Score: 0

11:01am Tue 20 Mar 12

WitneyGreen says...

And yet according to the City council's Scores on the Doors site, Jamals scores 4 out of 5 - very good. A couple of years ago, Cafe Rouge on Little Clarendon St was closed due to mice and cockroaches - it has a score of 5. So just how much vermin and filth is permitted in a kitchen before it loses its score?
And yet according to the City council's Scores on the Doors site, Jamals scores 4 out of 5 - very good. A couple of years ago, Cafe Rouge on Little Clarendon St was closed due to mice and cockroaches - it has a score of 5. So just how much vermin and filth is permitted in a kitchen before it loses its score? WitneyGreen
  • Score: 0

2:53pm Tue 20 Mar 12

EMBOX1 says...

It really is quite worrying how slack some restauranteurs are about hygeine.

Inspections should really be monthly by appointment and with random spot checks every quarter.

There is no excuse.
It really is quite worrying how slack some restauranteurs are about hygeine. Inspections should really be monthly by appointment and with random spot checks every quarter. There is no excuse. EMBOX1
  • Score: 0

7:32pm Tue 20 Mar 12

cynicality says...

So are the washbasins now reconnected, and why were they disconnected in the first place??
So are the washbasins now reconnected, and why were they disconnected in the first place?? cynicality
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree