Pupils stage street demo over speeds

thisisoxfordshire: Ella Gray, eight, hopes drivers outside Windmill Primary School, Oxford, get the message about speed Ella Gray, eight, hopes drivers outside Windmill Primary School, Oxford, get the message about speed

PUPILS across Oxfordshire have been urging drivers to slow down to help cut deaths on the roads.

Children set out to raise awareness of the hazards of speeding near schools and to get motorists to slow down to 20mph as part of activities for the Schools National Brake Road Safety Week, which ended last night.

According to the charity Brake, as many as one in 10 children in the region have been knocked down while walking or cycling, and half of all youngsters have narrowly avoided incidents on the roads.

Among those taking part were pupils at Windmill Primary School, in Headington, Oxford, where children raised placards reminding drivers of the stopping distances of cars.

The school is now situated in a 20mph zone, which headteacher Lynn Knapp said had made a big difference.

She said: “We’re incredibly fortunate to have a 20mph zone outside. Before it was introduced we were desperately worried about the threat of traffic to the children’s safety.

“Most schools are not as fortunate, and of course many of our pupils live on roads where fast traffic stops them getting out and about safely.

“That’s why we backed the campaign, and are calling on drivers to slow down to 20mph on all roads where there are homes, schools and community facilities.”

In Abingdon, pupils were also encouraging drivers to slow down, with a banner and cardboard speed cameras.

Pupils at Carswell Community Primary School took to Ock Street to urge drivers not to speed. Headteacher Sue Gore said drivers tooted their horns in support, but children were shocked to see a motorbike drive past at 50mph.

“I don’t think people realise there is a school set back off the main road,” she said. “We haven’t had any accidents, but we have had a couple of near misses.

“Touch wood, we haven’t had anything happen but there only has to be one accident.”

Council road safety officer Julie Jones said: “We need to get drivers to slow down, particularly on the school run when children will be walking and cycling.”

She said many drivers do not intend to speed and find their speed creeping up.

Julie Townsend, campaigns director at Brake, said: “It is unacceptable that so many children die and suffer appalling injuries on our roads.

“All drivers have a part to play in making our roads safer for children, and one of the best ways we can do this is to slow down to 20mph or below around schools and homes.

“Local children understand the need for traffic to slow down, and are appealing to drivers to make this simple commitment during Road Safety Week.”

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:16pm Sat 27 Nov 10

Andrew:Oxford says...

Did anyone think about this? Schools are asking young girls to hang around by the side of the road to encourage cars to slow down to a crawling pace...
Did anyone think about this? Schools are asking young girls to hang around by the side of the road to encourage cars to slow down to a crawling pace... Andrew:Oxford

1:23pm Sat 27 Nov 10

Andrew:Oxford says...

Should also point out that a school asking a child to stand still outdoors wearing just a large t-shirt (school jumper underneath) with bare arms and no gloves when the temperature is sitting around freezing is really quite cruel.
Should also point out that a school asking a child to stand still outdoors wearing just a large t-shirt (school jumper underneath) with bare arms and no gloves when the temperature is sitting around freezing is really quite cruel. Andrew:Oxford

1:37pm Sat 27 Nov 10

multitask says...

This is NOT a task for young children to be carrying out, the teachers responsible for this should be disciplined, the children are at risk by being near the roadside regardless of being supervised, they should be in a classroom receiving proper educational lessons, we pay the authorities to carry out and control traffic offences in this country not 8 year old children in unsuitable clothing!
This is NOT a task for young children to be carrying out, the teachers responsible for this should be disciplined, the children are at risk by being near the roadside regardless of being supervised, they should be in a classroom receiving proper educational lessons, we pay the authorities to carry out and control traffic offences in this country not 8 year old children in unsuitable clothing! multitask

1:45pm Sat 27 Nov 10

cwadid says...

I wish I could drive 20mph on Ock Street - 2mph more like!
I wish I could drive 20mph on Ock Street - 2mph more like! cwadid

2:20pm Sat 27 Nov 10

Gotafeeling says...

When I was a kid we had road safety drummed into us at school (anyone remember that squirrel- Tufty?) the idea was to encourage us to take care when crossing the road. I'm not trying to absolve car drivers from responsibility here but if everyone who was crossing the road followed the green cross code (Dave Prowse as the Green cross code man- another memory!) then there wouldn't be any accidents at all. The speed of the vehicle is only relevant if it actually hits someone, surely it's better to avoid that happening in the first place??? These kids would be better off learning how to cross safely rather than standing outside in the freezing cold distracting motorists.
When I was a kid we had road safety drummed into us at school (anyone remember that squirrel- Tufty?) the idea was to encourage us to take care when crossing the road. I'm not trying to absolve car drivers from responsibility here but if everyone who was crossing the road followed the green cross code (Dave Prowse as the Green cross code man- another memory!) then there wouldn't be any accidents at all. The speed of the vehicle is only relevant if it actually hits someone, surely it's better to avoid that happening in the first place??? These kids would be better off learning how to cross safely rather than standing outside in the freezing cold distracting motorists. Gotafeeling

4:15pm Sat 27 Nov 10

Peterr Mcvey says...

Gotafeeling wrote:
When I was a kid we had road safety drummed into us at school (anyone remember that squirrel- Tufty?) the idea was to encourage us to take care when crossing the road. I'm not trying to absolve car drivers from responsibility here but if everyone who was crossing the road followed the green cross code (Dave Prowse as the Green cross code man- another memory!) then there wouldn't be any accidents at all. The speed of the vehicle is only relevant if it actually hits someone, surely it's better to avoid that happening in the first place??? These kids would be better off learning how to cross safely rather than standing outside in the freezing cold distracting motorists.
Quite right. Teach the kids how to cross the road, not to hate car drivers. By doing this all they are doing is giving the kids a false sense of security, and not teaching them that roads are not a playground.
[quote][p][bold]Gotafeeling[/bold] wrote: When I was a kid we had road safety drummed into us at school (anyone remember that squirrel- Tufty?) the idea was to encourage us to take care when crossing the road. I'm not trying to absolve car drivers from responsibility here but if everyone who was crossing the road followed the green cross code (Dave Prowse as the Green cross code man- another memory!) then there wouldn't be any accidents at all. The speed of the vehicle is only relevant if it actually hits someone, surely it's better to avoid that happening in the first place??? These kids would be better off learning how to cross safely rather than standing outside in the freezing cold distracting motorists.[/p][/quote]Quite right. Teach the kids how to cross the road, not to hate car drivers. By doing this all they are doing is giving the kids a false sense of security, and not teaching them that roads are not a playground. Peterr Mcvey

8:43pm Sat 27 Nov 10

Ceasar says...

Sadly, the biggest hazard around most schools are the fast driving, self important 'busy' mums whose car journey to school and then work is more important than the pedestrian childrens safety.
Sadly, the biggest hazard around most schools are the fast driving, self important 'busy' mums whose car journey to school and then work is more important than the pedestrian childrens safety. Ceasar

2:20am Sun 28 Nov 10

calfox3 says...

all you need to do is teach 3 little words. these were the words i was made to learn when i was in school.

STOP. LOOK. LISTEN.

its that simple.
most driver are too destracted by all the other kids messing about by the road to notice the one thats run out in front of them.
the teachers need re-training too.
as the amount of times i have seen them cross the road outside the charwell school insted of using the underpass provided. they need to set an example too!!!
all you need to do is teach 3 little words. these were the words i was made to learn when i was in school. STOP. LOOK. LISTEN. its that simple. most driver are too destracted by all the other kids messing about by the road to notice the one thats run out in front of them. the teachers need re-training too. as the amount of times i have seen them cross the road outside the charwell school insted of using the underpass provided. they need to set an example too!!! calfox3

2:21am Sun 28 Nov 10

calfox3 says...

all you need to do is teach 3 little words. these were the words i was made to learn when i was in school.

STOP. LOOK. LISTEN.

its that simple.
most driver are too destracted by all the other kids messing about by the road to notice the one thats run out in front of them.
the teachers need re-training too.
as the amount of times i have seen them cross the road outside the charwell school insted of using the underpass provided. they need to set an example too!!!
all you need to do is teach 3 little words. these were the words i was made to learn when i was in school. STOP. LOOK. LISTEN. its that simple. most driver are too destracted by all the other kids messing about by the road to notice the one thats run out in front of them. the teachers need re-training too. as the amount of times i have seen them cross the road outside the charwell school insted of using the underpass provided. they need to set an example too!!! calfox3

9:17am Sun 28 Nov 10

Danny A says...

A civilized society does not shift the responsibility of personal safety from the threat, to the vulnerable victim.
For example in work places such as mine there is now rightly legislation when dangerous equipment is being operated. The responsibility is clearly described to the operator not to any unconcerned passers by. I find it amazing that on leaving the work place it should be the responsibility of the vulnerable outside the dangerous equipment (my car) to keep out of my way. Times have changed since the days of Dave Prowse, numbers of kids walking to school have plummeted and numbers of car school runs have rocketed. Continued shifting of responsibility away from the folk inside the cars will only make things worse.
A civilized society does not shift the responsibility of personal safety from the threat, to the vulnerable victim. For example in work places such as mine there is now rightly legislation when dangerous equipment is being operated. The responsibility is clearly described to the operator not to any unconcerned passers by. I find it amazing that on leaving the work place it should be the responsibility of the vulnerable outside the dangerous equipment (my car) to keep out of my way. Times have changed since the days of Dave Prowse, numbers of kids walking to school have plummeted and numbers of car school runs have rocketed. Continued shifting of responsibility away from the folk inside the cars will only make things worse. Danny A

11:07am Sun 28 Nov 10

Gotafeeling says...

Danny A wrote:
A civilized society does not shift the responsibility of personal safety from the threat, to the vulnerable victim. For example in work places such as mine there is now rightly legislation when dangerous equipment is being operated. The responsibility is clearly described to the operator not to any unconcerned passers by. I find it amazing that on leaving the work place it should be the responsibility of the vulnerable outside the dangerous equipment (my car) to keep out of my way. Times have changed since the days of Dave Prowse, numbers of kids walking to school have plummeted and numbers of car school runs have rocketed. Continued shifting of responsibility away from the folk inside the cars will only make things worse.
In my post I specifically said that car drivers shouldn't be absolved of responsibility here but the bottom line is that ALL road users, including those who are crossing it need to be aware of what's around them. No one should think it is someone else's responsibility to keep them safe. We would see numbers of road accidents rocket if people assume that a car won't hit them and therefore they don't need to take care. Your argument doesn't really make sense. There is a good reason why people are advised not to cross train lines for instance- are you also advocating that train drivers should slow down to a crawl to allow people the freedom to cross the tracks?
[quote][p][bold]Danny A[/bold] wrote: A civilized society does not shift the responsibility of personal safety from the threat, to the vulnerable victim. For example in work places such as mine there is now rightly legislation when dangerous equipment is being operated. The responsibility is clearly described to the operator not to any unconcerned passers by. I find it amazing that on leaving the work place it should be the responsibility of the vulnerable outside the dangerous equipment (my car) to keep out of my way. Times have changed since the days of Dave Prowse, numbers of kids walking to school have plummeted and numbers of car school runs have rocketed. Continued shifting of responsibility away from the folk inside the cars will only make things worse.[/p][/quote]In my post I specifically said that car drivers shouldn't be absolved of responsibility here but the bottom line is that ALL road users, including those who are crossing it need to be aware of what's around them. No one should think it is someone else's responsibility to keep them safe. We would see numbers of road accidents rocket if people assume that a car won't hit them and therefore they don't need to take care. Your argument doesn't really make sense. There is a good reason why people are advised not to cross train lines for instance- are you also advocating that train drivers should slow down to a crawl to allow people the freedom to cross the tracks? Gotafeeling

11:17am Sun 28 Nov 10

Floflo says...

Agreed that children need to be taught road sense but it saddens me that so many posting here seem to refuse accept that they have a responsibility for the safety of others - particularly children.
.
There are plenty of children that have been killed on the way to school where the driver is not technically at fault. But rather than blaming the dead child far better to be extra cautious near a school.
.
No matter how much you teach road safety people make mistakes. In particular children make mistakes. For this reason I struggle to understand why so many people seem to reject the message that you should slow down and pay extra attention near schools.
.
If people drove with more respect for the safety of others, particularly near schools it would not be necessary to do campaigns of this nature.
Agreed that children need to be taught road sense but it saddens me that so many posting here seem to refuse accept that they have a responsibility for the safety of others - particularly children. . There are plenty of children that have been killed on the way to school where the driver is not technically at fault. But rather than blaming the dead child far better to be extra cautious near a school. . No matter how much you teach road safety people make mistakes. In particular children make mistakes. For this reason I struggle to understand why so many people seem to reject the message that you should slow down and pay extra attention near schools. . If people drove with more respect for the safety of others, particularly near schools it would not be necessary to do campaigns of this nature. Floflo

11:53am Sun 28 Nov 10

multitask says...

Floflo wrote:
Agreed that children need to be taught road sense but it saddens me that so many posting here seem to refuse accept that they have a responsibility for the safety of others - particularly children.
.
There are plenty of children that have been killed on the way to school where the driver is not technically at fault. But rather than blaming the dead child far better to be extra cautious near a school.
.
No matter how much you teach road safety people make mistakes. In particular children make mistakes. For this reason I struggle to understand why so many people seem to reject the message that you should slow down and pay extra attention near schools.
.
If people drove with more respect for the safety of others, particularly near schools it would not be necessary to do campaigns of this nature.
Floflo - No one is refusing or shifting responsibility the original cause for concern in this article is it is implying that they are using young children to do an adults job and also not wearing suitable clothing for the task! it is NOT part of the curriculum to place children on the edge of a road during school hours waving a homemade sign that may put them in even further danger and also could distract a motorist travelling even at a very low speed to lose control, the kids are safer being in the school and let the local authorities or suitably trained adults carry out this task.
[quote][p][bold]Floflo[/bold] wrote: Agreed that children need to be taught road sense but it saddens me that so many posting here seem to refuse accept that they have a responsibility for the safety of others - particularly children. . There are plenty of children that have been killed on the way to school where the driver is not technically at fault. But rather than blaming the dead child far better to be extra cautious near a school. . No matter how much you teach road safety people make mistakes. In particular children make mistakes. For this reason I struggle to understand why so many people seem to reject the message that you should slow down and pay extra attention near schools. . If people drove with more respect for the safety of others, particularly near schools it would not be necessary to do campaigns of this nature.[/p][/quote]Floflo - No one is refusing or shifting responsibility the original cause for concern in this article is it is implying that they are using young children to do an adults job and also not wearing suitable clothing for the task! it is NOT part of the curriculum to place children on the edge of a road during school hours waving a homemade sign that may put them in even further danger and also could distract a motorist travelling even at a very low speed to lose control, the kids are safer being in the school and let the local authorities or suitably trained adults carry out this task. multitask

1:58pm Sun 28 Nov 10

Danny A says...

I think the fact that it is children involved is interesting. From their non-driving perspective the convenience of being able to drive around unrestricted in a private metal box not a factor in their outlook. There is a whole generation of kids now who have gone from being ferried around in cars to ferrying themselves around in cars without spending any significant time as a vulnerable road user. I'm not denying that everyone should take some responsibility. I'm saying that in todays society I think we do not properly acknowledge the responsibility that goes with piloting a ton and a half of metal at up to 70mph. The convenience of the car makes us blind to the dangers but I think a driver should carry more of the burden of road safety than the pedestrian because of the gross disparity in threat.
I think the fact that it is children involved is interesting. From their non-driving perspective the convenience of being able to drive around unrestricted in a private metal box not a factor in their outlook. There is a whole generation of kids now who have gone from being ferried around in cars to ferrying themselves around in cars without spending any significant time as a vulnerable road user. I'm not denying that everyone should take some responsibility. I'm saying that in todays society I think we do not properly acknowledge the responsibility that goes with piloting a ton and a half of metal at up to 70mph. The convenience of the car makes us blind to the dangers but I think a driver should carry more of the burden of road safety than the pedestrian because of the gross disparity in threat. Danny A

2:25pm Sun 28 Nov 10

multitask says...

Danny A - "I think a driver should carry more of the burden of road safety than the pedestrian because of the gross disparity in threat" with a statement like that your giving kids the wrong message to just step out into the road with no worries the car will take avoiding action, mind you most of them do that already! The highway code applies to all road users including informatiopn for pedestrians, I can only assume you haven't read it or possibly don't drive.
Danny A - "I think a driver should carry more of the burden of road safety than the pedestrian because of the gross disparity in threat" with a statement like that your giving kids the wrong message to just step out into the road with no worries the car will take avoiding action, mind you most of them do that already! The highway code applies to all road users including informatiopn for pedestrians, I can only assume you haven't read it or possibly don't drive. multitask

2:33pm Sun 28 Nov 10

calfox3 says...

it is the job of ALL road users to be safe. be it driver, rider or just walking.
in cases where young children that may not understand. it is the adults in charge that has the responsibility of that childs road safety.
a few weeks a go i almost hit a child outside cheney school because i was watching the kids playing chicken outside the school gate. (waiting for a car the sticking their foot out to make them brake because they though it was funny)
how ever because of this i didnt notice the child from the other side of the road run out.
i am only human and as such i can only look in one direction at a time.
had i have hit that child i would not have been because of the speed i would have be down to the stupidity of "other road users" but i would have still got the blame.
you may argue that i should have been looking the other way to. but as i said i can only look one way at a time. and that was at the place i thought was more of a hazard.
it is the job of ALL road users to be safe. be it driver, rider or just walking. in cases where young children that may not understand. it is the adults in charge that has the responsibility of that childs road safety. a few weeks a go i almost hit a child outside cheney school because i was watching the kids playing chicken outside the school gate. (waiting for a car the sticking their foot out to make them brake because they though it was funny) how ever because of this i didnt notice the child from the other side of the road run out. i am only human and as such i can only look in one direction at a time. had i have hit that child i would not have been because of the speed i would have be down to the stupidity of "other road users" but i would have still got the blame. you may argue that i should have been looking the other way to. but as i said i can only look one way at a time. and that was at the place i thought was more of a hazard. calfox3

3:12pm Sun 28 Nov 10

Danny A says...

multitask wrote:
Danny A - "I think a driver should carry more of the burden of road safety than the pedestrian because of the gross disparity in threat" with a statement like that your giving kids the wrong message to just step out into the road with no worries the car will take avoiding action, mind you most of them do that already! The highway code applies to all road users including informatiopn for pedestrians, I can only assume you haven't read it or possibly don't drive.
No. The message I am sending to kids is when you become a driver be a safe and responsible one. Because when you are behind the wheel, unlike when you are out walking, you have the potential to do others a great deal of harm.

I think it is wrong that some people feel rather than themselves reduce the risk by slowing from 30 to 20 its up to the kids to reduce the risk by keeping out of the way.
[quote][p][bold]multitask[/bold] wrote: Danny A - "I think a driver should carry more of the burden of road safety than the pedestrian because of the gross disparity in threat" with a statement like that your giving kids the wrong message to just step out into the road with no worries the car will take avoiding action, mind you most of them do that already! The highway code applies to all road users including informatiopn for pedestrians, I can only assume you haven't read it or possibly don't drive.[/p][/quote]No. The message I am sending to kids is when you become a driver be a safe and responsible one. Because when you are behind the wheel, unlike when you are out walking, you have the potential to do others a great deal of harm. I think it is wrong that some people feel rather than themselves reduce the risk by slowing from 30 to 20 its up to the kids to reduce the risk by keeping out of the way. Danny A

4:06pm Sun 28 Nov 10

Floflo says...

calfox3 wrote:
it is the job of ALL road users to be safe. be it driver, rider or just walking.
in cases where young children that may not understand. it is the adults in charge that has the responsibility of that childs road safety.
a few weeks a go i almost hit a child outside cheney school because i was watching the kids playing chicken outside the school gate. (waiting for a car the sticking their foot out to make them brake because they though it was funny)
how ever because of this i didnt notice the child from the other side of the road run out.
i am only human and as such i can only look in one direction at a time.
had i have hit that child i would not have been because of the speed i would have be down to the stupidity of "other road users" but i would have still got the blame.
you may argue that i should have been looking the other way to. but as i said i can only look one way at a time. and that was at the place i thought was more of a hazard.
I think you sum it up well. Children can be unpredictable and especially near a school where you don't notice everything that is going on around you unless you slow down. If you were a less careful driver or going faster your story could have a very different ending.
[quote][p][bold]calfox3[/bold] wrote: it is the job of ALL road users to be safe. be it driver, rider or just walking. in cases where young children that may not understand. it is the adults in charge that has the responsibility of that childs road safety. a few weeks a go i almost hit a child outside cheney school because i was watching the kids playing chicken outside the school gate. (waiting for a car the sticking their foot out to make them brake because they though it was funny) how ever because of this i didnt notice the child from the other side of the road run out. i am only human and as such i can only look in one direction at a time. had i have hit that child i would not have been because of the speed i would have be down to the stupidity of "other road users" but i would have still got the blame. you may argue that i should have been looking the other way to. but as i said i can only look one way at a time. and that was at the place i thought was more of a hazard.[/p][/quote]I think you sum it up well. Children can be unpredictable and especially near a school where you don't notice everything that is going on around you unless you slow down. If you were a less careful driver or going faster your story could have a very different ending. Floflo

5:57pm Sun 28 Nov 10

JillyJ says...

The point is surely that children are one of the more vulnerable groups impacted by crossing streets. They are at risk (however well they are taught road safety) because they do not have the experience to gauge speed & distance of passing cars as well as a responsible adult would do.
Unless we make our streets safer for pedestrians, more & more parents will drive their children to school & children have less & less experience of walking/crossing the street.
20 is plenty!
The point is surely that children are one of the more vulnerable groups impacted by crossing streets. They are at risk (however well they are taught road safety) because they do not have the experience to gauge speed & distance of passing cars as well as a responsible adult would do. Unless we make our streets safer for pedestrians, more & more parents will drive their children to school & children have less & less experience of walking/crossing the street. 20 is plenty! JillyJ

10:32am Mon 29 Nov 10

Major County says...

Quite happy for children (yes they are children not young people) to be informed properly about road safety, but this vigilanty approach encouraged by teachers who clearly prefer to organise these events and presumably continue to discuss them in the classroom afterwards instead of educating the children properly, I find distasteful. Adults do not like to be lectured by little children whatever the subject and it is likely to be counter productive.
Anyone driving irresponsibly in areas where there are children about are idiots and should be dealt with accordingly. Children waving placards at them will make no difference to their driving behaviour whatsoever.
Quite happy for children (yes they are children not young people) to be informed properly about road safety, but this vigilanty approach encouraged by teachers who clearly prefer to organise these events and presumably continue to discuss them in the classroom afterwards instead of educating the children properly, I find distasteful. Adults do not like to be lectured by little children whatever the subject and it is likely to be counter productive. Anyone driving irresponsibly in areas where there are children about are idiots and should be dealt with accordingly. Children waving placards at them will make no difference to their driving behaviour whatsoever. Major County

1:38pm Mon 29 Nov 10

Major County says...

The article states: "Pupils at Carswell Community Primary School took to Ock Street to urge drivers not to speed. Headteacher Sue Gore said drivers tooted their horns in support, but children were shocked to see a motorbike drive past at 50mph".

Sue, don't be naive - the motorists were probably hitting their horns out of irritation, did you notice that this was accompanied by them giving V for Victory signs - but round the wrong way!

And Sue - why the shock about motor bikers breaking the speed limit, you're lucky the rider didn't finish off with a few wheelies.
The article states: "Pupils at Carswell Community Primary School took to Ock Street to urge drivers not to speed. Headteacher Sue Gore said drivers tooted their horns in support, but children were shocked to see a motorbike drive past at 50mph". Sue, don't be naive - the motorists were probably hitting their horns out of irritation, did you notice that this was accompanied by them giving V for Victory signs - but round the wrong way! And Sue - why the shock about motor bikers breaking the speed limit, you're lucky the rider didn't finish off with a few wheelies. Major County

6:35pm Wed 1 Dec 10

sparky123456 says...

1 in 10 children in oxfordshire knocked over or off bikes. on that basis surely i'd be seeing one incident per day as I pass about 8 schools on my way to work. where do they get these crazy stats!
1 in 10 children in oxfordshire knocked over or off bikes. on that basis surely i'd be seeing one incident per day as I pass about 8 schools on my way to work. where do they get these crazy stats! sparky123456

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree