Four people were rescued from a house in Botley after being trapped by a blaze.

The fire service said the fire broke out shortly after 1am this morning in Seacourt Road.

Staff at the fire service control centre gave advice over the phone to four adults trapped in a first floor bedroom when they called.

Crews from Rewley Road and The Slade fire stations then arrived at the scene, put out the blaze and lead the people in the house to safety.

The fire service said the fire was caused by a pan left unattended on a stove.

Watch manager Paul Harding said: "our control operators do a fantastic job, in this case they reassured the people trapped in this bedroom and stopped them panicking until we arrived.

"This could have saved their lives had this been more serious’

Station manager Simon Belcher said: "The fact that the property had working smoke alarms made sure that these people were able to call the fire service and get us out quickly."