An electric fan sparked a blaze at the Mal Maison hotel this afternoon.

Six fire engines were sent to the New Road building when the fire started at about 3pm.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue spokesman Sam Henry said the blaze was caused by an electric fan and firefighters used dry powder to put the flames out.

There was another fire this morning in a sawdust hopper at a woodworking firm in Kingston Bagpuize.

The small blaze started in the 5m high container at about 9.50am at the D Smith Joiners site in the Rectory Lane trading estate.

Firefighters used a ladder and a hose reel to put it out.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Our top stories