Third set of OAP homes approved

thisisoxfordshire: Third set of OAP homes approved Third set of OAP homes approved

THE site of a former Bicester discount store will finally be developed after a third set of plans were approved by councillors.

Montpelier Estates got planning permission to build 40 assisted-living homes at the former Winners site, in Victoria Road. The plot of land has been vacant for more than a year.

In 2012, the firm submitted proposals for a 60-bed care home, which were rejected by Cherwell District Council.

Last year, new plans to build a 36-home assisted living complex were refused because of a failure to resolve developer contributions. The plan was later dismissed at appeal. Cherwell and Oxfordshire councils had asked for almost £50,000 towards providing adult day care, £18,000 for public transport and £10,000 for footpath improvements.

In the latest set of plans, Oxfordshire county Council only asked for a total of £9,200 towards libraries, waste management, a museum resource centre and administration.

The county council said a technical change in the type of development meant it could not claim more.

A county council spokesman said: “Cherwell District Council approved the 40-flat application, giving it a C2 classification. This generates fewer contributions, as the previous 36-flat scheme had been rated as C3.”

A Cherwell spokesman denied the classification had been changed. He said the planning inspector had warned the county council it should only claim cash if it could be justified.

He said: “Incorrect. This has always been a C2 application.

“This time around the applicant has agreed the latest requirements – so all agreed.” The existing buildings at the third-of-a-hectare site will be demolished to make way for the new three-storey flats.

Related links

Onsite facilities will include a cinema, activity room and reception area, as well as two gardens and a 20 parking spaces.

After the meeting, Bob Duxbury, development control team leader, said: “Evidence recognises there will be a 24 per cent increase in over-65s in the district by 2033 – so this proposal represents an opportunity to address this particular aspect of housing need.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:40am Sat 3 May 14

Severian says...

So planning permission is now only being granted if the District and County Councils can screw money out of the developer to pay for their projects?? Sounds par for the course.
So planning permission is now only being granted if the District and County Councils can screw money out of the developer to pay for their projects?? Sounds par for the course. Severian
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree