When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Group of men found not guilty of kidnapping
6:30am Wednesday 26th March 2014 in News
FOUR young men from Bicester have been unanimously found not guilty of kidnapping.
The group walked free from Oxford Crown Court yesterday after a five-day trial.
They are Mohammed Hussain, 22, of Marigold Walk; Liam Hutchison, 20, of Leach Road; Cameron Wilkins, 18, of Reedmace Road, and a 16-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons.
John Law, prosecuting, claimed that on May 20 last year the group used threats and intimidation to kidnap 18-year-old Callum Pieton over a £150 drug debt he allegedly owed Wilkins.
But in their closing arguments barristers for the four defendants argued there had been no kidnapping and the complainant had not been taken against his will.
Adrian Amer, defending the 16-year-old, said the whole incident had just been “a dispute about drugs or debts or goodness knows what” between “stupid young kids”.
The 16-year-old did admit slapping Mr Pieton with the back of his hand, so was sentenced yesterday for assault and possessing cannabis, a Class-B drug.
Judge Ian Pringle told him: “You would be very well advised, if you are to make anything of your life, that you realised it is high time to grow up.”
He sentenced the defendant to a two-year conditional discharge.
Comments are closed on this article.