A LANDLORD has been fined £6,000 for renting out a poorly maintained house that did not have a working smoke alarm.

Oxford City Council prosecuted William Edwards for failing to maintain his property in Dene Road, Headington, after an inspection last June.

Council spokeswoman Louisa Dean said staff using a warrant discovered that the smoke alarm in the kitchen was not working, there was no handrail on the staircase, there was a broken light fitting to the staircase which had no bulb and rotten windows in the bathroom and bedroom.

There was also no sign displayed within the house giving the manager’s name and contact details, which is required under HMO rules, and a copy of the electrical installation or gas safety certificate had not been received by the council.

All of these were violations of the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006. The house had tenants at the time.

Edwards, of Lytton Road, Florence Park, did not attend the hearing at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Monday, March 17.

He was fined £1,000 for failing to licence a HMO, £500 for each defect relating to the property which totalled £5,000, a £100 victim surcharge and £350 costs.