THE family of a motorcyclist who crashed into a roundabout following an evening out have paid tribute to “a delightful young man.”

An inquest at Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court heard that Andres Naveda was travelling in excess of 100mph — double the 50mph speed limit — seconds before the crash at the A44 Begbroke roundabout on August 10 last year.

The 23-year-old Oxford Brookes University student, of Park Street, Bladon, had spent the evening at the Killingworth Castle Inn, in Wootton-by-Woodstock, with his girlfriend Jayne Upward and friend Michael Janecek.

A toxiciology report confirmed that Mr Naveda, who had just completed a year as a quality control technician for BMW, was within the legal drink drive limit.

In a statement, Mr Naveda’s family said: “Our son Andres was a delightful young man.

“We had celebrated his 23rd birthday the week before the tragic accident.

“He was due to graduate from Oxford Brookes University in July this year.

“He was studying motorsport engineering and he had a passion for motorbikes.

“We, his parents, Mary Ann and Juan Carlos Naveda, his siblings, and his beloved girlfriend Jayne are utterly devastated and are trying to come to terms with the loss of our lovely Andres.”

Collision investigator Daniel Henderson told the inquest there was a roundabout warning sign 445 metres ahead of the roundabout and said: “This should have given the rider ample opportunity to see the roundabout and slow down.

“The most likely cause is rider inattention or a prolonged period of distraction.”

Of the skid marks found at the scene 26 metres from the roundabout, Mr Henderson added: “It is indicative of someone who is in a panicked situation.”

Mr Henderson used CCTV to calculate the speed Mr Naveda was travelling at and said: “Certainly on approach to the roundabout, he was travelling in excess of 100mph.”

Oxfordshire Coroner Darren Salter said: “As far as the issue of intoxication is concerned, it is clear Anthony was significantly below the urine alcohol drink-drive limit, so I wouldn’t say that intoxication played a significant part.

“It would seem most likely however that excessive speed did play a part.”

He added: “He would have had time to reduce that speed on approach to the roundabout.”

Mr Salter recorded a verdict that Mr Naveda’s death was an accident.