Fire at cash and carry was ‘accidental’

thisisoxfordshire: Fire at cash and carry was ‘accidental’ Fire at cash and carry was ‘accidental’

THE cause of a a fire that destroyed a cash and carry and a tool hire business over the weekend was accidental, the fire service has said.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service has carried out an initial investigation into the blaze, which happened on Friday, and determined it started in the roof.

Rewley Road station manager and investigation officer David Bray said: “At the moment we have determined it to be a fire of accidental origin.

“We believe the fire started around or about 8pm on Friday in the roof of the building.

“There were four people in there at the time of the locking up and nothing was occurring in there that would have had people high up in the roof.”

The emergency services were called at about 8.20pm on Friday to the Beaumont Road premises and about 100 firefighters from four counties tackled the blaze.

The building, which was divided in two and housed Gem Tool Hire & Sales Ltd and Oak Cash and Carry, was completely destroyed in the fire.

Related links


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree