When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Pools campaigner banned from leisure centre
9:00am Monday 9th December 2013 in News
A SAVE Temple Cowley Pools campaigner has been banned from the leisure centre after complaints from users.
Oxford City Council and Fusion Leisure would not say what the complaints were about and the campaign group would not say who had been banned.
But in a statement released to the Oxford Mail, Save Temple Cowley Pools spokesman Nigel Gibson said the ban was “totally unwarranted and unjustified”.
He said Fusion Leisure should apologise to the banned campaigner, who he said needed to use the centre to “maintain their health and quality of life”.
He said: “They should be compensating this person for the abuse they have suffered.”
Fusion Leisure spokesman Steve Lee said the individual was given warnings ahead of the ban.
He said: “Someone has been banned and this was following complaints from other users in the centre.”
City council spokeswoman Louisa Dean said it would not comment on individual cases and it was a matter for Fusion Leisure.
The campaign group was set up against the planned closure of the leisure centre which is due to be shut in September next year when a new £7.2m pool complex opens in Blackbird Leys.
The proposed closure has been the subject of several legal challenges from the campaigners who questioned the need for a new pool.