When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
Smoke alarms missing in two kitchen fires
8:42pm Tuesday 1st October 2013 in News
Two kitchen fires broke out in homes without smoke alarms.
The first, at about 9.30am on Monday, was caused by a plastic high chair on top of an electric hob which caught fire in a house in Green Road, Risinghurst.
Firefighter Dan Smith said: “It was fortunate the occupier was awake and alert at the time of the fire and was able to turn the cooker off and get herself and her children out of the property.”
The second fire, at 5pm on Monday, was started by cooking left unattended on the hob, and caused extensive smoke damage to the kitchen of the house in Jack Straws Lane, Headington.
Two adults were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.