When It Happens Panel Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting 'OXFORD NEWS' to 80360 or email
College evacuated as chimney catches fire
10:00am Wednesday 18th September 2013 in News
Crews were called to a fire at St John’s College yesterday.
A spokesman for Oxfordshire’s fire and rescue service said the blaze started after a “build-up of flammable material in the extraction chimney of the biomass boiler.”
The spokesman for the Oxford University college said: “Three crews were called to the fire at 8.52am and two fire officers also attended. People inside there were already out of the building by the time we got there.”
The fire broke out at the college’s Kendrew Quadrangle.