OXFORD City was formed in 1882, 11 years before Headington United was born and nearly 80 years before the latter changed its name to Oxford United.
Shortly after its birth, City merged with others such as Oxford Wanderers FC and Oxford United College Servants and in 1906 it won the FA Amateur Cup, beating Bishop Auckland 3-0 at Stockton-on-Tees.
The following year the club entered the Isthmian League.
Oxford City was overtaken by Oxford United when the Manor Ground club turned professional in 1949.
In 1979 the club attempted to reach the big time when it became a limited company for the first time, and the following year World Cup-winner Bobby Moore became its manager, with his former West Ham team-mate Harry Redknapp as his assistant. But the club was then relegated for only the second time in its history.
City was then forced to resign from the Isthmian League when Brasenose College, which owned the White House Ground, evicted them and sold it for housing.
Supporters continued to meet after the directors resigned, even though no Oxford City team played until 1989 when the club entered a side in the Oxfordshire Youth League.
It was not until 1990 that an Oxford City senior side was elected into the South Midlands League and played at Cutteslowe Park.
After promotion to the Premier Division the club moved to the Pressed Steel Ground at Roman Way in Cowley and within two seasons won the championship.
This meant it had to move again, this time to Court Place Farm in 1993, when the club returned to the Isthmian League.
Despite relegation in 2005 the club has since been moving up the divisions until it was promoted to the Conference North in 2012, just two divisions below the Football League.